This Content is Locked
Join Today to unlock the content!
Using pickled bean curd instead of kapi, follow the ratios, procedure and seasoning of a basic chili relish. That is, start by pounding dried shrimp and salt and when they fluff up, add garlic and pickled bean curd. Season using fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice
The best pickled bean curd for this recipe is one that is full bodied, such as the Chinese imported pickled bean curd; the product from Shanghai is especially suitable. Popular Thai brands are produced in the southern province of Songkhla (เต้าหู้ยี้สงขลา). Prepare the relish as you would make a basic relish; do note that fish sauce and salt may be unnecessary, as the bean curd is quite salty.
1. Siamese Chili Relishes – The Professional Chef’s Guide
2. How to prepare the basic fermented shrimp paste chili relish (น้ำพริกกะปิมาตรฐาน)
Add your own recipe notes
You must be a member to use this feature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pickled bean curd (เต้าหู้ยี้)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai garlic (กระเทียมไทย)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (เกลือทะเล)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried shrimp pounded to powder (กุ้งแห้งป่น)
- 4 pieces fresh bird’s eye chili (kee noo suan) (พริกขี้หนูสวนสด) sliced thinly, crosswise
- 1 tablespoon three colors of chilies – red, green, yellow and chilies (พริกสามสี) sliced thinly, crosswise
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (น้ำปลา)
- 1 3/4 tablespoons palm sugar (น้ำตาลมะพร้าว)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (น้ำมะนาว)
- madan (sour cucumber, มะดัน)(garcinia schomburgkiana) thinly sliced
- hairy-fruited eggplant (maeuk) (มะอึก) diced into small pieces
- salacca (สละ หรือ ระกำ) thinly sliced
- bitter orange (som.saa)(ส้มซ่า) diced into small pieces
- green mandarin orange (ส้มเหม็น) diced into small pieces
- fresh vegetables (ผักสด)
- fried steamed mackerel (ปลาทูนึ่งและทอด)
- grilled catfish (ปลาดุกย่าง)
- Using pickled bean curd instead of kapi, follow the ratios, procedure and seasoning of a basic chili relish.
Get Access – Join Thaifoodmaster Today
Practical and kitchen-tested recipes with a mix of theory, history, psychology, and Siamese culture tidbits.
Access to Thaifoodmaster’s constantly growing library of prime professional classes, articles, recipes and videos on Siamese culinary topics, available nowhere else in English.
Gain access to NEW MONTHLY masterclasses as they become available.
1-1 support from Hanuman to help you achieve your professional Thai culinary goals
The opportunity to join a monthly live two-hour videoconference where I can answer your questions.
one year access for the price of 3 days in-person training.
You will get everything you need to:
When you design or build a new menu for an event or restaurant or even prepare for dinner with friends.
Master your Thai cooking skills and expand your repertoire.