This relish is based on the basic chili relish recipe, adding hairy-fruited eggplant (มะอึก), salacca (สละ หรือ ระกำ) and a generous amount of seeds from bitter yellow eggplants. The chilies of choice are bird’s eye chilies and yellow chili, whose fruitiness and color accentuate the yellow color of the eggplants.
The relish’s consistency should be runnier than a relish served with fresh vegetables, but still thicker than one that accompanies blanched vegetables.
- Yellow eggplant slices,
- Fried steamed mackerel,
- Fried grilled catfish (whole fish or a slice),
- Salted shrimp mixed with garlic and fresh chilies and seasoned with lime juice and sugar,
- Sweet pork.
Add your own recipe notes
You must be a member to use this feature
- 1 tablespoon bitter yellow eggplants seeds (เม็ดมะเขือขื่น) seeds of three eggplants
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fermented shrimp paste (kapi)(กะปิย่างไฟ) grilled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai garlic (กระเทียมไทย)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (เกลือทะเล)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried shrimp pounded to powder (กุ้งแห้งป่น)
- 1 tablespoon fresh yellow chili (phrik leuang) (พริกเหลือง)
- 4 pieces fresh bird’s eye chili (kee noo suan) (พริกขี้หนูสวนสด)
- 1/2 tablespoon hairy-fruited eggplant (มะอึก) (optional), thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon salacca (สละ หรือ ระกำ) (optional), thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (น้ำปลา)
- 1 3/4 tablespoons palm sugar (น้ำตาลมะพร้าว)
- 1 tablespoons lime juice (น้ำมะนาว)
- 1 tablespoon green mandarin orange juice (น้ำส้มเหม็น) or
- bitter orange juice (som.saa)(น้ำส้มซ่า)
- Peel the yellow eggplants, collect the seeds, and soak the flesh in salted water.
- Measure the amount of fermented shrimp paste (kapi), garlic and palm sugar following the ratios of a basic chili relish recipe (น้ำพริกกะปิมาตรฐาน). Arrange the ingredients next to each other so you can visualize their proportions.
- Begin preparing the relish in a mortar and pestle the same way you would a basic chili relish – start by pounding the garlic with the kapi and add dried shrimp powder.
- Taste and season with salt and fish sauce. Once you are satisfied with the saltiness of the relish, add the palm sugar at the ratio indicated. Season to a sweet-salty flavor profile.
- Season with to a sour leading flavor profile using lime juice and green mandarin orange juice (น้ำส้มเหม็น).
- Add the chilies. Bruise them using the pestle to release the desired spiciness.
- If used, mix in the sweet-sour fruits: the salacca (สละ หรือ ระกำ) and hairy-fruited eggplant (มะอึก).
- Add a generous amount of the yellow eggplant seeds.