This dish brings yet another angle to celebrate the essence of Thai cuisine. The Thais dare pairing ingredients, which at first seem to be unmatchable, strong players with opposite characteristics, white turmeric and salted prawns, and guess what? It works beautifully!
The pairing actually has the intention to enhance the differences in flavor and texture, creating a playful dish, both in taste and in presentation. The delicate thin cut white turmeric juliennes with its crunchy-apple like texture matched well with the just made salted prawns chunks which still maintain some of their intrinsic sweetness.
It’s a pleasant and aromatic dish flavored by fish sauce and limejuice. The use of palm sugar and shallots adds just a touch of sweetness to the dish rounding it nicely and making it a refreshing experience. Oh, and yes, please be careful of those red spots, these are not tomatoes.
- 5 pieces large prawns head-on, shell-on, tail intact
- 50 gr minced pork meat
- ⅓ cup white turmeric cut into thin juliennes
- 3 tablespoon shallots
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 3 cups water
- 4 ½ tablespoon salt
for the dressing:
- 2 cloves Thai garlic or 1/2 clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon palm sugar
- 5 pieces bird's eye chilies
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
making salted prawns
- crash the lemongrass steams to allow it release its aroma.
- prepare the brine: to a pot, add the bruised lemon grass, salt and water, in ratio of 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt for each cup of water.
- bring the brine to a boil.
- add the prawns and turn the heat just as it boils again. leave the prawns in the brine until the brine has cooled completely to room temperature.
- peel the prawns and cut into bite-size pieces.
- slice white turmeric into thin juliennes and thinly slice the shallots
- in boiling water, cook the minced pork strain and set aside
making the salad dressing
- in a pestle and mortar crush the Thai garlic, unpeeled.
- add bird's eye chilies and palm sugar and crush the chili. the finer you work the chilies the hotter the dish will be.
- add fish sauce
- add lime juice. mix and set aside.
combining the dish
- in a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients. the white turmeric , salted prawns, pork, shallots and the salad dressing.
- serve immediately