Most Thai curry dishes call for freshly prepared curry paste that is best used fresh just before cooking.
Here is a delicious and simple exception – Stir-fried crab meat in curry powder, milk, and eggs – A popular Thai seafood recipe that is unique in its use of commercially available curry powder.
The dish was first created by Teochew Chinese chefs in the numerous Chinese restaurants in Bangkok who used to cater to the working class of Thai-Chinese immigrants, that came to the Kingdom from the Guangdong province in the southern coast of China.
Add your own recipe notes
You must be a member to use this feature
- 300 g steamed crab meat (เนื้อปูนึ่ง)
- 1 tablespoon Thai garlic (กระเทียมไทย) crushed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger (ขิง) finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper (พริกไทยป่น)
- 1/4 cup fresh red long chili (phrik chee fa) (พริกชี้ฟ้าแดง) thinly julienned
- 1/3 cup spring onion (ต้นหอม) cut into 2.5 cm (1″) strips
- 1 tablespoon chili jam oil (น้ำมันน้ำพริกเผา) See page 46 (for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons neutral tasting cooking oil (น้ำมันพืช)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce (ซีอิ๊วขาว)
- 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce (ซอสน้ำมันหอย)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (น้ำมันงา)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (น้ำตาลทราย)
- pinch sea salt (เกลือทะเล)
- 2 tablespoons water or stock (น้ำเปล่าหรือน้ำสต๊อก)
- 2 chicken eggs (ไข่ไก่)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (ผงกะหรี่)
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk (นมข้นจืด)
- 1 tablespoon chili jam (น้ำพริกเผา)
- Mix all the seasoning ingredients; set aside.
- Mix all the egg mix ingredients; set aside.
- In a pestle and mortar, pound the garlic, ginger and ground white peppercorns to a smooth paste.
- Place a well-seasoned wok over medium-high heat. When the wok is hot, pour in the oil followed by the garlic-ginger paste. Stir fry quickly until fragrant. Add the red chilies and spring onions, followed by the seasoning sauce. When the seasoning sauce thickens, add the egg mix. Allow the egg mix to cook until the egg starts to form; gently scramble the eggs. Add the crab meat and gently mix. Cook until almost dry, and drizzle the chili jam oil over it.
Get Access – Join Thaifoodmaster Today
Practical and kitchen-tested recipes with a mix of theory, history, psychology, and Siamese culture tidbits.
Access to Thaifoodmaster’s constantly growing library of prime professional classes, articles, recipes and videos on Siamese culinary topics, available nowhere else in English.
Gain access to NEW MONTHLY masterclasses as they become available.
1-1 support from Hanuman to help you achieve your professional Thai culinary goals
The opportunity to join a monthly live two-hour videoconference where I can answer your questions.
one year access for the price of 3 days in-person training.
You will get everything you need to:
When you design or build a new menu for an event or restaurant or even prepare for dinner with friends.
Master your Thai cooking skills and expand your repertoire.