Here is a delicious and simple exception – Stir-fried crab meat in curry powder, milk and eggs – A popular Thai seafood recipe which is unique in its use of commercially available curry powder.
The dish was first created by Teochew Chinese chefs in the numerous Chinese restaurants in Bangkok who used to cater to the working class of Thai-Chinese immigrates, that came to the Kingdom from the Guangdong province in the southern coast of China.
- 300 gr steamed crab meat (เนื้อปูนึ่ง)
- 1 tablespoon Thai garlic (กระเทียมไทย) crushed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger (ขิง) finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper (พริกไทยป่น)
- 1/4 cup fresh red long chili (phrik chee fa) (พริกชี้ฟ้าแดง) thinly julienned
- 1/3 cup spring onion (ต้นหอม) cut into 2.5 cm (1″) strips
- 1 tablespoon chili jam oil (น้ำมันน้ำพริกเผา) See page 46 (for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons neutral tasting cooking oil (น้ำมันพืช)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce (ซีอิ๊วขาว)
- 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (น้ำมันงา)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (น้ำตาลทราย)
- pinch sea salt (เกลือทะเล)
- 2 tablespoons water or stock (น้ำเปล่าหรือน้ำสต๊อก)
- 2 chicken eggs (ไข่ไก่)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (ผงกะหรี่)
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon chili jam (น้ำพริกเผา)
- Mix all the seasoning ingredients; set aside.
- Mix all the egg mix ingredients; set aside.
- In a pestle and mortar, pound the garlic, ginger and ground white peppercorns to a smooth paste.
- Place a well-seasoned wok over medium-high heat. When the wok is hot, pour in the oil followed by the garlic-ginger paste. Stir fry quickly until fragrant. Add the red chilies and spring onions, followed by the seasoning sauce. When the seasoning sauce thickens, add the egg mix. Allow the egg mix to cook until the egg starts to form; gently scramble the eggs. Add the crab meat and gently mix. Cook until almost dry, and drizzle the chili jam oil over it.