Stir Fried Pork with Holy Basil and Chilies Recipe (phat gaphrao muu sap)
Add your own recipe notes
Add to CollectionGo to Collections Add to Shopping ListGo to Collections
You must be a member to use this feature
- 200 g minced pork meat (เนื้อหมูบด)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai garlic (กระเทียมไทย)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh red and green Thai bird’s eye chilies (phrik kee noo) (พริกขี้หนูแดง และ เขียว)
- 1 cup holy basil (ใบกะเพรา)
- 1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce (ซีอิ้วดํา)
- 3/4 tablespoon pork lard (น้ำมันหมู)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce (ซีอิ๊วขาว)
- 3/4 tablespoon oyster sauce (ซอสน้ำมันหอย)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper (พริกไทยป่น)
- pinch sea salt (เกลือทะเล)
- 3 tablespoons water or stock (น้ำเปล่าหรือน้ำสต๊อก)
- In a pestle and mortar, roughly crush the garlic. Add the bird’s eye chilies; pound together until all the chilies are bruised. Set aside.
- Mix all the seasoning ingredients and set them aside.
- Place a well-seasoned wok over medium-high heat.
- When the wok is hot, pour in the oil followed by the garlic and chilies mixture. Stir fry quickly until fragrant; do not allow the garlic to brown.
- Add the minced pork and quickly stir fry, breaking down all the lumps. Continue stir frying the meat until all the liquids have completely evaporated, and the meat dries up and start to brown.
- Sprinkle dark soy sauce over the meat and stir fry until the meat turns a nice dark color.
- Add the seasoning sauce. Mix together and wait for the sauce to thicken.
- Turn off the heat and add the holy basil leaves. Incorporate the basil leaves into the dish using only the residual heat: cooking the basil leaves will cause them to turn black, and will also impair the flavor of the dish.
Tried this recipe?We’d love to see it – tag it #THAIFOODMASTER on Instagram! Please leave a comment to let us know how it was!
Get Access – Join Thaifoodmaster Today
Practical and kitchen-tested recipes with a mix of theory, history, psychology, and Siamese culture tidbits.
Access to Thaifoodmaster’s constantly growing library of prime professional classes, articles, recipes and videos on Siamese culinary topics, available nowhere else in English.
Gain access to NEW MONTHLY masterclasses as they become available.
1-1 support from Hanuman to help you achieve your professional Thai culinary goals
The opportunity to join a monthly live two-hour videoconference where I can answer your questions.
one year access for the price of 3 days in-person training.
You will get everything you need to:
When you design or build a new menu for an event or restaurant or even prepare for dinner with friends.
Master your Thai cooking skills and expand your repertoire.