สมัครสมาชิก เพื่ออ่านเพิ่มเติม. ลืมรหัสผ่าน?
This relish is based on the basic chili relish recipe, adding hairy-fruited eggplant (มะอึก), salacca (สละ หรือ ระกำ) and a generous amount of seeds from bitter yellow eggplants. The chilies of choice are bird’s eye chilies and yellow chili, whose fruitiness and color accentuate the yellow color of the eggplants.
The relish’s consistency should be runnier than a relish served with fresh vegetables, but still thicker than one that accompanies blanched vegetables.
- Yellow eggplant slices,
- Fried steamed mackerel,
- Fried grilled catfish (whole fish or a slice),
- Salted shrimp mixed with garlic and fresh chilies and seasoned with lime juice and sugar,
- Sweet pork.
1. Siamese Chili Relishes – The Professional Chef’s Guide
2. How to prepare the basic fermented shrimp paste chili relish (น้ำพริกกะปิมาตรฐาน)
Add your own recipe notes
You must be a member to use this feature
- 1 tablespoon bitter yellow eggplants seeds (เม็ดมะเขือขื่น) seeds of three eggplants
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fermented shrimp paste (kapi)(กะปิย่างไฟ) grilled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai garlic (กระเทียมไทย)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (เกลือทะเล)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried shrimp pounded to powder (กุ้งแห้งป่น)
- 1 tablespoon fresh yellow chili (phrik leuang) (พริกเหลือง)
- 4 pieces fresh bird’s eye chili (kee noo suan) (พริกขี้หนูสวนสด)
- 1/2 tablespoon hairy-fruited eggplant (maeuk) (มะอึก) (optional), thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon salacca (สละ หรือ ระกำ) (optional), thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (น้ำปลา)
- 1 3/4 tablespoons palm sugar (น้ำตาลมะพร้าว)
- 1 tablespoons lime juice (น้ำมะนาว)
- 1 tablespoon green mandarin orange juice (น้ำส้มเหม็น) or
- bitter orange juice (som.saa)(น้ำส้มซ่า)
- bitter yellow eggplants (มะเขือขื่น)
- fried steamed mackerel (ปลาทูนึ่งและทอด)
- fried grilled catfish (whole fish or a slice) (ปลาดุกย่างและทอด)
- salted shrimp (กุ้งเค็ม) seasoned with lime juice and sugar
- sweet pork (หมูหวาน)
- Peel the yellow eggplants, collect the seeds, and soak the flesh in salted water.
- Measure the amount of fermented shrimp paste (kapi), garlic and palm sugar following the ratios of a basic chili relish recipe (น้ำพริกกะปิมาตรฐาน). Arrange the ingredients next to each other so you can visualize their proportions.
- Begin preparing the relish in a mortar and pestle the same way you would a basic chili relish – start by pounding the garlic with the kapi and add dried shrimp powder.
- Taste and season with salt and fish sauce. Once you are satisfied with the saltiness of the relish, add the palm sugar at the ratio indicated. Season to a sweet-salty flavor profile.
- Season with to a sour leading flavor profile using lime juice and green mandarin orange juice (น้ำส้มเหม็น).
- Add the chilies. Bruise them using the pestle to release the desired spiciness.
- If used, mix in the sweet-sour fruits: the salacca (สละ หรือ ระกำ) and hairy-fruited eggplant (มะอึก).
- Add a generous amount of the yellow eggplant seeds.
Get Access – Join Thaifoodmaster Today
Practical and kitchen-tested recipes with a mix of theory, history, psychology, and Siamese culture tidbits.
Access to Thaifoodmaster’s constantly growing library of prime professional classes, articles, recipes and videos on Siamese culinary topics, available nowhere else in English.
Gain access to NEW MONTHLY masterclasses as they become available.
1-1 support from Hanuman to help you achieve your professional Thai culinary goals
The opportunity to join a monthly live two-hour videoconference where I can answer your questions.
one year access for the price of 3 days in-person training.
You will get everything you need to:
When you design or build a new menu for an event or restaurant or even prepare for dinner with friends.
Master your Thai cooking skills and expand your repertoire.