This rich velvety relish highlights the creaminess of the salted duck egg yolks. It can be prepared in the same way using crab roe (ไข่ปู; khai bpuu) instead of egg yolks, to make a crab roe chili relish (น้ำพริกไข่ปู; naam phrik khai bpuu). The recipe follows the preparation of a basic chili relish, but only half the amount of fermented shrimp paste (kapi) is used. This reflects and accommodates the saltiness introduced from the salted egg yolks and helps maintain the relish’s bright orangey color.
- Young thaawng laang leaves (erythrina orientalis) (ทองหลาง),
- Batter-fried morning glory (ผักบุ้งไทย),
- Spring onion (ต้นหอม),
- Salted beef,
- Grilled dried fish,
- Grilled fish.
Add your own recipe notes
You must be a member to use this feature
- 2 hard-boiled salted duck egg (ไข่เค็ม)
- 3/4 tablespoons fermented shrimp paste (kapi)(กะปิย่างไฟ) grilled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai garlic (กระเทียมไทย)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (เกลือทะเล)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried shrimp pounded to powder (กุ้งแห้งป่น)
- 4 pieces fresh bird’s eye chili (kee noo suan) (พริกขี้หนูสวนสด)
- 1 tablespoon fresh yellow chili (phrik leuang) (พริกเหลือง)
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (น้ำปลา)
- 1 3/4 tablespoons palm sugar (น้ำตาลมะพร้าว)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (น้ำมะนาว)
- fried, batter fried or egg-batter fried vegetables (ผักทอด ผักชุบแป้งทอด หรือ ผักชุบไข่ทอด)
- young thaawng laang leaves (erythrina orientalis)(ทองหลาง)
- spring onion (ต้นหอม)
- snakeskin gourami fish, semi-salted and sun-dried (ปลาสลิดแดดเดียว) fried
- Separate the yolks and whites of two hard-boiled salted duck eggs.
- Measure the amount of fermented shrimp paste (kapi), garlic and palm sugar following the ratios of a basic chili relish recipe (น้ำพริกกะปิมาตรฐาน). Use only half the amount of kapi; therefore, the garlic and palm sugar should be measured to double the amount of the kapi. Arrange the ingredients next to each other so you can visualize their ratios.
- Begin preparing the relish in a mortar and pestle the same way you would a basic chili relish – start by pounding the garlic with the kapi and add dried shrimp powder.
- Add the egg yolks. Using the pestle, mix them into a smooth paste.
- Taste and season with salt and fish sauce. Once you are satisfied with the saltiness of the relish, add the palm sugar at the ratio indicated. Season to a sweet-salty flavor profile.
- Season to a sour leading flavor profile using lime juice.
- Add the fresh yellow chilies. Bruise them using the pestle to release the desired spiciness.
- Optional: Crumble the salted duck egg whites and mix them into the relish.